Advanced manufacturing facilities rely heavily on the skilled craftsmanship of machinists. Manufacturers employee machinists who have a wide range of skills and are capable of performing modern production techniques. Machinists set up and operate a variety of computer-controlled and mechanically-controlled machine tools to produce precision parts.
Train and learn on state-of-the-art Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) equipment, lathes, mills, and other machines to create products used in the manufacturing environment. Instruction is given in related mathematics, blueprint reading, precision measuring, basic metallurgy, and heat-treating of metals. Incorporating the National Institute of Metalworking Skills (NIMS) standards, students learn cutting-edge techniques based on recognized fundamentals.
• Set up and operate manual, and Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) machine tools
• Operate lathes, milling machines, grinders, horizontal and vertical bandsaws, and drill presses
• Align, secure, and adjust cutting tools and work pieces
• Monitor the feed and speed of machines
• Work from blueprints to turn, mill, drill, shape, and grind machined parts
• Measure, examine, and test completed products for required tolerances
|Time Commitment||Full Time|
|Typical Program Length|
|Consumer Information||View Info|
1635 Technology Way
Athens, TN 37303
Set up, operate, or tend more than one type of cutting or forming machine tool or robot.
Bright Outlook: Yes
Currently employed in the area: Not Available
Current job openings per year: Not Available